Lesson 2: THE URBAN WORLD: Urban Beginnings
1. How have urban growth patterns changed over the last two centuries?
2. How has the proportion of the world’s population living in cities changed over the last century?
3. Where on the globe is virtually all contemporary urban growth (the so-called Urban Explosion) taking place?
4. Where did most urban growth occur a century ago?
5. What criteria do different countries use to define urban areas?
6. What is the difference between urbanization and urbanism?
7. Ecological and political economy models or approaches both focus on what level of analysis and questions?
8. Urbanism as a way of life focuses on what level of analysis and questions?
9. Who were some of the major European social theorists of the late 19th and early 20th century and how did their typologies
explain urban change?
10. What was the focus of the Chicago School scholars, and how did they change urban sociology?